Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Looking the part

I’ve decided that all my “hobbies” lead to a very expensive wardrobe.  Call me vain, but I think that whatever activity I’m involved in is so much more fun when I look the part.

Example A
Hunting.  This year was my first year hunting deer so I invested in some 'She' camo.  I even paid extra shipping to get it here in time for opening weekend.  Turns out it was a great investment as I wore it again a couple weekends ago in my first coyote calling contest.  I mean, really, I have jeans I've only worn once.  I firmly believe that camo made me a more confident hunter:)

 Example B
Sledding.  At my husbands urging, I finally agreed to accompany him on a snowmobiling trip last winter.  I bought some cheap ass snow pants, wore his old helmet that was 2 sizes too small, borrowed gloves from my sister and rummaged whatever else I needed from Shane's closet.  My cheap snow pants left me with a wet ass and the helmet was painfully uncomfortable.....thus distracting me from having as much fun as I otherwise would have.  Since I really did enjoy the trip, I've now invested in a new coat, snow pants,  gloves, socks, helmet, goggles, and even a snowmobile.  I know.  I have problems.
  Example C
Rodeo.  Although a lifelong hobby, it still requires new boots for me, new boots for my horse, new ropes, and other various gear updates.
 Example D
Running and other sports.  Yes, it is probably silly that my 5 mile max should propel me to buy running tights, socks, shirts, headbands, shoes, etc, etc, etc.  Oh, can't forget my beloved Garmin.  But, c'mon, it's for my health.  We can't put a price tag on that and besides, I did wear my camo jacket to run my first 5k (in the snow).
In retrospect, I should be adding up how much money I'd be saving if I (we) didn't have so many "hobbies".  BUT, I'm not.  Know why?  We are having fun.....as a couple and as a family.  I've spent more time with my husband in the past year than since before the kids.  We take our kids with us hunting and to rodeos.  We are planning a family snowmobile trip.  My daughter was SO excited to "get" to run the mile in PE.  Maybe the old saying of  "the family that plays together stays together" is true.  (That is a saying, right?)  Anyhow, that's my story and I'm sticking to it!



1 comment:

  1. You cannot put a price tag on QT with your family, friends, sanity/health or happiness. At least, thats what I tell Shawn. :-)

    ReplyDelete