Monday, December 19, 2011

In Search of a Mantra

Today my husband had to take our son to the Dr...by  himself.  Our oldest child is 8 years old and this is the first time he's ever done such a thing.  I'll give him props.  He only called me 3 times from Safeway so I could point him in the right direction.  After trying to explain that tylenol IS acetamenophin, he said he'd just get the real shit.  Uh, ok. 

He also called back when leaving town to bitch about the fact that "this little trip to town" cost him nearly $200.  Obviously he NEVER buys groceries, and if he does his list pry looks more like this:
He was quite put out that I gave him a list to complete after going to the Dr.  We live in BFE.  It's against some law to go to the big city without getting the necessities.  He should just be thankful I didn't tell anyone else he was going or they'd have sent a list too.  That's how we roll here in the sticks.  

Anyways, the real reason for my post today...I need a running mantra.  Something to repeat to myself when I want to lay down in the middle of the road and cry.  Some I'm considering:
  • Don't be such a girl.
  • Do you want ppl to see you suck?
  • Run, b*t*ch.
  • Get your ass to moving.
  • Focus, damnit!
  • If I stop, I'll kick my own ass.
  • If I stop, I'll let Heather kick my ass.
  • If you finish, you can buy new boots..or jeans..or shoes..
  • F*** you, hill or leg or lungs or whatever I'm annoyed with.
  • I run to look good naked.
Although I'm fond of several of those, like a true problem solver, I turned to Google for more help.  According to Runner's World, a good mantra is  "one that's short, positive, instructive, and full of action words" and one that "diverts your mind from thoughts that reinforce the pain to thoughts that help you transcend it."  I've discovered that I often count my steps while running and figured that was "weird".  However, Google assures me that counting is actually a great distraction and that some runners even have a counting pattern.  I'll let you know when I find my pattern.  Maybe Google can help me with that too.

In all seriousness, I've discovered that the most difficult part of running for me is the mental aspect.  It's my brain telling the rest of me to stop or that I can't go any farther.   "Repeating choice words whenever you need to focus helps direct your mind away from negative thoughts and toward a positive experience." 

I'll admit that much of my "self-talk" may seem unorthodox, but it works for me.  My inner me is always cursing my outer me.  When I'm angry, I swear, so many of my "choice" words can't be repeated here and usually start with 'f'.   However, I am seeking a "nicer" mantra...one that I could actually write on my hand (like Neon Blonde Runner does) that won't get disdainful looks from others.  Some possibilities:
  • DO. NOT. STOP
  • You are a rock star.
  • JUST. RUN
  • NO EXCUSES
  • Smooth. Steady. Strong
  • Run through it.
 What do you all think?  Please help me get more than 2 responses here, people.  Do you have a running/fitness mantra to get you through??













6 comments:

  1. Positive thought's during a run, by Angie Anderson!
    1. what doesn't kill you makes you stronger!
    2. there are way worse things in life than an hour run:)
    3. it's worth it to feel this pain when I "oh so comfortably slide into my skinny jeans"
    4. I won't feel soooo guilty when I down 6 drinks because I ran today
    5. Last but not least I ran today so I deserve the Nachos Navidad from Taco John's:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just keep remembering the saying on one of the posters in weights class. "Bigger, Faster, Stronger". That always stuck in my head. Even though I joked about it, I still see that damn poster.
    I don't want to be bigger so I just say:
    "Skinnier, Faster, Stronger" !!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. its funny you mention it, b/c I ALWAYS count when I run. I feel like it should make it harder, but for some reason as the seconds tick down or the tenths of a mile go by for some reason it just makes me feel more accomplished. I don't know that I have a mantra per se, I just keep telling myself, its almost over, you walked 60 miles for goodness sakes you can go one more minute etc...I like Smooth, Steady, Strong though...that has a nice ring to it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Any of Angie's but I especially like #3 and #4.
    You are much stronger then an hour of running is, way more stubborn (Im sure your husband will agree) and dedicated. Plus you dont want to quit without hitting your goal cause then you get mad at yourself.
    I think your a Believe kinda person....always believe you can and will!
    Go Jamie Go!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't count, but I breakdown my run time. Like I'll run ten minutes, then tell myself another ten minutes and so on, it helps to keep me from being defeated. A mantra... I tell myself "you've never been this strong and you can do this!" I also tell myself one foot in front of the other, I go through a list a ppl that I have or can inspire and lastly, think of the ppl who can't run for one reason or another and run for them!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, everyone! I like things with the word "strong" so I'm working on it!!

    ReplyDelete