Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Perspective

This post needs something funny;)
Warning-This post is rather serious and reflective.  I even shock myself at times.

Dictionary definition of perspective: the state of one's ideas, the facts known to one, etc., in having a meaningful interrelationship.

I've had A day.  Not sure why, but I've decided it's time for an attitude check and a little perspective.

Example A:  We lost our game last night, and I was convinced it was one major cluster you know what.  When watching the film today, I found myself telling the girls to not only look for things we did poorly but to also look for things we did well.  Even though we did not play to the best of our ability, nor did I coach to the best of mine, I have a GREAT group of girls and I know they will continue to try their guts out and improve.  I can't let my HIGHLY competitive nature override the love of the game.  They are a young group with major potential. 

Example B:  My run tonight kicked my ass.  Really.  At 1.25 miles on the dreadmill, I felt like I was about to die.  I pretty much threw in the towel and did some interval work for the next mile to finish out.  Instead of beating myself up about what a failure I am, I need to remember that 2 months ago I couldn't even run a mile.  Instead of complaining about having no time or daylight to run outside, I need to be thankful I have a job to pay the bills.  AND instead of making excuses and bitching about my treadmill, I should be thankful I even have one. 
  
Actually, I think I can blame my highly competitive nature on many of my mental issues right now, especially as far as running goes.  I've always played team sports where I wasn't going to let my team down.  This is the first time I've been afraid of letting myself down.  I'm NOT QUITTING, though.  If I have to walk a portion of my first half marathon after 7 months of running, so be it.  From now on I'm racing myself.  I'm not going to compare my pace to others.  I'm going to beat MY pace every run.  So, there!



2 comments:

  1. Your Pace. Your Race. Your run. And you cant quit...you wouldnt have an excuse to keep buying running shoes. I have faith in you friend!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it! I needed that before my run this afternoon...thanks!

    ReplyDelete