Thursday, December 8, 2011

Jingle Bells

I know I'm such a loser lately.  I haven't even given an official race report from my first 5k.  I've been too obsessed with reading all the blogs about the Vegas Rock 'n' Roll Marathon that had over 40000 runners!!  Some good reports, some bad but all equally fascinating. I stole this picture from a blogger runner.  I'm afraid claustrophobia may kick in for me and I'd have to go all kinds of Spongebob Squarepants crazy on some poor soul.  Interesting factoid I learned....some runners actually "go" in their drawers rather than find a bathroom.  I'm not talking number one here, people.  I realize this topic may be somewhat taboo but I was amazed...and a little freaked out by this knowledge.  Guess I still have a LOT to learn about running.


Anyways, on to my first 5k.  My goal was to finish without walking and I did it!!  I didn't break any speed records but my legs kept moving.  Following is the dialogue I was having with myself throughout: (Disclaimer: please pardon my language.  I felt honesty was the best policy here.)



Me: 
Okay, we're off.  Feeling good.  Tara and Katie aren't THAT fast.
Other Me:  Who are you kidding?  You're eating their dust...er, snow.

Me:  Fine.  I can hang with Heather.  I know I can match her pace.  No worries.
Other Me:  Uh, hello, there goes Heather. 

Me:  OMG,  WTF was I thinking.  I HATE running.
Other Me:  NO, you don't.  Mind over matter.  You are an ATHLETE damnit.  Really, you can't run 3.1 frickin miles?  Don't be such a girl.  Earn those abs woman!

Me:  Yes, almost halfway!  Maybe I can sneak in walking around that cone at the end.
Other Me:  I hate all these mother f'rs passing me on their way BACK before I've even reached the turnaround.  Beotches, all of em.

Me:  That is horrible.  I do not.  You go peeps.  Run like the wind!
Other me:  Liar.

Me:  Alright, Heather is in my sights ahead and I can see Sammy right beside me.  I got this.
Other me:  Right.  You can't let Sammy pass you.  Suck it up.  Seriously, there she goes...she's passing you...along with some random Grandmother.  You suck.

Me:  Okay, I could walk now and no one would ever know.  It would be our lil secret.  Shhhh.....
Other me:  Like hell.  I'm telling them all and they will laugh and call you names.  Get your ass to moving.

Tara, Katie
Me:  Right.  Finish line is in sight.  What?  We aren't finishing where we started?  Why do we have to run clear to the parking lot.  We started out here, damnit.  This is just cruel.
Other me:  You darn sure can't stop now.  You know Tara and Katie are lurking somewhere nearby in their cute tutus gushing over you trotting into the finish line after all your peeps have already had coffee and donuts.  Man, I hate them right now.

Me: Might as well finish this.  I'd feel like a real ass walking the last 100 yards.   OMG, there are Tara and Katie.  I LOVE them girls AND their tutus...staying out here to cheer me on in the frickin snow.  
Other me: You're a complete rockstar....a slow one but hey, it takes all kinds;)  When's the next one??  We've got some work to do!

In all seriousness, these girls really do ROCK.  It was a great day, snow and all!!


Tara, Heather, Me, Sammy, Katie







4 comments:

  1. You did rock that race!! The weather was far from ideal but now you can say you RAN the whole thing in crappy conditions....the next one will be a cake walk!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey just came to your blog from SR! I, like you recently began running, well, kinda. I started in March, had a stress fracture, re-started and ran an entire 5k in October! Ran one on t-day w/hopes to continue through the winter. Im from kc, but grew up in Rural Kansas. Hubby was born in omaha, my bf is in Omaha and we are nu fans! Great job on the 5k! And my self talk involves a lot of curse words too! Sorry to babble, but Im gonna add you to my reader.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey there! I saw you on SR and thought I'd come over and check out what's goin on over here! I am glad to find someone who is beginning running/blogging as well! I literally just started like yesterday (blogging) and am working my way up to running an entire 5k! I related to a lot of things you have said in your posts, even down to discovering Google reader! Love it!! Let's be blogging buddies!?!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay...I have blogging buddies!! Can't wait to check out your blogs!

    ReplyDelete