Thursday, December 29, 2011

Domestic Goddess or NOT

I have the entire week off from work.   Being a domestic goddess (preferred over stay-at-home-mom/wife) is much harder than it sounds...especially when the weather isn't that conducive to outdoor activities. 

My daily routine so far (minus the spells of toilet time from the flu - TMI??)
    • Wake up, put on workout gear and tennis shoes.  Yes, I ALWAYS wear athletic shoes around the house.  I am not productive without them.  
    • Get kids breakfast and turn on Spongebob Squarepants.  I am soooooo FRICKEN tired of Spongebob Squarepants.  My son wants it on ALL day long.  
    • Put in load of laundry.  I swear my kids change their clothes 14 times a damn day because I just LOOOVE washing their clothes 3 times a week.  We are NOT short on clothes around here so that is ALOT.
    • Read the 500 blogs I follow while enjoying my coffee.
    • Get kids their first of 10 snacks....for the MORNING.  I finally shut them off.  NO MORE SNACKS.  Payton very dramitically says, "Fine, I guess we'll just STARVE" while Grady tells me I'm a "MEAN MOM".  I've only heard that about 50 times since break started.  I guess my mission is almost complete.
    • Switch out laundry.  Contemplate hiring a maid. Fold laundry.
    •  Make lunch. Pick up toys.  Why do I pick up the toys??
    • Tell myself that it's much too early for Pendleton nap time.  Oh, wait.  My kids don't nap.
    • Send kids to the basement BANNING them from coming back up for at least an hour in the hopes of getting 20 minutes of bicker free quiet time.  
    • Periodically yell "KNOCK IT OFF, NOW" down the stairs.  
    • Send kids upstairs BANNING them from coming downstairs while I work out in the hopes of only being interrupted a few times.
    • Ponder whether kids will blow away in the roaring winds or freeze too much if I ban them to the outdoors.
    • Start supper.  Contemplate hiring a cook.
    • Refrain myself from strangling Shane when he comes home and asks what we did all day.
    • Read the other half of my blogs while Shane watches random stupid shit on TV.  
    • Send the kids to bed at least 10 minutes early. 
    • Ban Shane to the bedroom and watch mindless TV.  Drink wine.
    This is just a portion of my day and it's exhausting. Tonight, I thought I'd really push the Domestic Goddess title and make one of Shane's favorite meals.  I am a damn good cook.  My mom is a great cook and my sisters are great cooks.  Tonight, however, I burned half of the shit I was cooking  and had windows open and fans blowing despite the roaring winds and cool temps outside.  I think I'm going into domestic overload.  

    Tomorrow, I GET to go into the school and work on grades.  Moral of my story is...breaks are good.  This break from my job makes me feel refreshed and ready for a new semester.  The break I get from my kids during the school week makes me almost enjoy my attempts at domestic goddess status.  To each their own...but for me, balance is key.  To all you full time domestic goddesses.  Take.a.break.  YOU DESERVE IT!










    1 comment:

    1. ohhhh the picking up stuff...toys, glasses, napkins, whatever is just thrown here and there and all about the house...why are we the ones always picking them up. Sigh. I feel ya....

      ReplyDelete